Sunday, February 7, 2010

René Descartes (1)

I will try to analyze part of the philosophy in the book titled René Descartes A Discourse On The Method (A new translation by Ian Maclean). I am not sure I can do Descartes justice, but I will try to examine some of Descartes' philosophy nonetheless. My assessment will be in different parts as I attempt to tackle different subjects and would like to break it up into different posts.

Descartes speaks of good sense, which is described or alluded to as "universal wisdom." Descartes states that humans have this good sense,[1] and the way it is applied might reveal different results. The results could vary due to the fact that people apply or see things differently. Since people's thoughts are "directed differently," what is important is that the correct process (being able to distinguish what is truth and what is false) is applied. Finally, Descartes proposes one can arrive at a more accurate conclusion if the application of the process is taken at a slower pace.

I think Descartes is implying that as long as one has a mind that is able to work properly, this good sense is available to all. If that is what he means I do agree with him. I would venture to say that this good sense is part of what we deem to be evident/apparent. However, as Descartes distinguishes, we need to test or examine this good sense. Moreover, Descartes is right to point out that if the individual uses a slower thought process, chances would increase to detect incorrect assumptions through the method. For example, if I write a paper and attempt to correct it at a fast pace more errors are likely to be made than if I slowly took the time to make the corrections. Regarding good sense Descartes is dead on if you ask me...

_____________________
[1] Interestingly enough, Descartes claims that this good sense is available to "all men." In other words, Descartes is assuming that everyone has access to this good sense.

No comments: